Well, the good news is that after 100 hours of members working away repainting and upgrading the electrical items on the sleigh, Bye Engineering’s generous donation in repairing the trailer, the new design work being gifted by a professional interior designer and very generous donations from Woodbridge 41 Club and another charity, we are just about ready to hand the sleigh over to Santa to tour the streets around Martlesham and Woodbridge.
The routes are provided below but please also look at our website and Facebook page which will have more detailed information about stopping points. We all appreciate how difficult outside events are at present so look at our website and Facebook page nearer the time as they will be frequently updated.
As promised last month, our Zoom quiz is up and running and tickets will be on sale shortly via our website. At £10 per screen and a prize of £100 to be donated to the winner’s chosen charity, we look forward to many of you taking part on Friday 20 November at 7pm.
We continue to meet via Zoom at 7pm every second Monday and have two very interesting talks in November. On Monday 2 we will learn about Tools With A Mission, a project that collects, refurbishes and sends surplus tools collected locally to third world countries. On Monday 16 Gerry Dunleavy will talk about The Landguard Fort in Felixstowe. It’s free to access meetings via Zoom; just email us via our website for details.
We have all read about the plight of children who, through no fault of their own, could well be living in hostels over Christmas, We have joined other Rotary Clubs throughout Britain in providing funds to ensure each child receives a handsome parcel of appropriate toys for Christmas. We thank all those who support our activities so we can have the funds to support these fantastic projects.
If you would like to find out more about what Deben Rotary gets up to in Kesgrave, Martlesham, Woodbridge and Melton, please visit our website www.debenrotary.org.uk, Facebook www.facebook.com/DebenRotaryClub and look out for our posters about the Sleigh.
Rtn Richard Boother (President)
DEBEN ROTARY – SLEIGH RUN 2020
Deben Rotary Club will be bringing Santa on his sleigh to Martlesham Heath, Woodbridge and Melton again this year. We are finalising our plans to collect donations permissible under the present Covid-19 regulations. If there are any changes to the regulations after this article is submitted (October 3) we will advertise these extensively but bear with us as we do the best we can. Government restrictions may preclude us from collecting door to door, but we will do everything we can to at least drive Santa around.
By the end of October, we will have up to date plans on our website, which you can access via www.debenrotary.org.uk or from the QR code on our posters. This will be updated if necessary. All runs are subject to weather conditions.
- Tuesday 1 December: Birch Grove, York Road, Lancaster Drive, Coopers Road, Avocet Lane, Swan Close, Lark Rise and Burgess Place
- Wednesday 2 December: Forest Lane, Harvesters Way, Pine Bank, Holly End, The Oaks, Heathfield, Heathfield Mews, Heather and Digby Close, Mayfield and Mayfield Lane
- Thursday 3 December: Squires Lane, Park Place, Peel Yard, Demesne Gardens, The Grove, Parkers Place, Westlands, Warren Lane, Broomfield and Whinfield and their mewses
- Friday 11 December: Farriers Close, Stable Court, Hunters Ride, The Chase, De Brink-on-the-Green, Valiant Way, Saddlers Place, Carlford Close and Manor Road
- Saturday 12 December, 10am-2.30pm: Street Collection on The Thoroughfare Santa will park the Sleigh in the lay-by outside the HSBC Bank and collect between Brook Street and the entrance to the Turban Centre.
- Tuesday 15 December: Hall Farm Road and Close, Manthorp Close, Churchman Close, houses on Woods Lane backing on Hall Farm Road, St Andrew’s Place and Close.
- Wednesday 16 December: Blacktiles Lane, Carol Avenue, Angela Close, Chandos Drive and Close, Ravens Way, Green Lane, Buckingham Close, Alban Square, Crown Close, Viking Heights/Close
All money collected is for the Deben Rotary Charity Trust fund which supports local, district, national and international charities. For more information regarding Rotary, contact Rotarian Ian O’Brien Baker: 01394 382419 / 07747 610894 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
All in the Rotary movement hope you have a very happy Christmas and much better New Year.