My employer asked me to work some extra hours lately, but I don’t appear to have received the extra pay. I asked my boss about it and they said they would look into it, but I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. What should I do?

If you think your pay is wrong, or you haven’t been paid for extra hours worked, the best thing you can do is talk to your employer and find out what’s going on. If you and your employer can’t agree on how much you should have been paid, you can challenge them. You should act quickly though – it’ll be harder to get your money after three months from the date the problem arose.

You should start by checking your payslip if you’ve got one. This will help you see how your pay has been worked out. Check things like:

  • Whether you’ve been paid for the number of hours you’ve actually worked
  • If you’ve been paid at the correct rate
  • If you’ve been paid overtime, a commission or a bonus
  • Whether you’ve been paid any sick pay
  • If your employer has deducted any money that you weren’t expecting

Ask your employer to explain anything you don’t understand on your payslip or why you haven’t been paid what you believe you are owed. If you disagree with anything, explain why. If your employer has made a genuine mistake, ask them to pay you the money you’re owed straight away – you should not have to wait until your next pay day. If you need more help, you can contact Citizens Advice Mid Suffolk to get advice on the next steps. 

Citizens Advice Mid Suffolk can provide advice on this and other issues, including debt, employment, benefits and family law. You can contact them on: 01449 676 060 or use the contact form at: More information an